Cricket in IndoreDuring a Cricket Match, while walking in the lanes of Indore, one thing you can’t miss is the updates on the game, credit goes to the ongoing commentary of the cricket match which you tend to hear as you pass by every shop or a residence of Indore. Needless to mention that cricket is the favorite sport of the city. This game of Bat and ball is played on the field with a ‘pitch’ in the middle. Minimum two teams are needed to play the game each team consists of 12 players including batsmen and bowlers.
The umpire judge the game and commentators’ keep us updated with the latest score board. The team which scores more ‘Runs’ wins the game. Not only of Indore but cricket runs in the blood of every Indian, the craze can be seen during the series of matches and if it is India and Pakistan then nothing is more important.
Indore is home to MPCA (Madhya Pradesh Cricket Association) and two international cricket grounds; the Holkar Stadium and Nehru Stadium. The two grounds have witnessed many important matches and the biggest of all cricketing event in the city was 2011 ODI, played in Holkar Stadium.
In 1932 the Central India Cricket Association came into existence, Holkar Cricket association came into being from 1940-41 to 1954-55, then Madhya Bharat 1955 – 57 and then came Madhya Pradesh Cricket Association, since 1957. The history itself of this cricket association says a lot about the roots of the game in the city.
Cricket in Indore
During the earlier part of the 20th century cricket flourished in India as a most popular mode of recreation. The game use to receive patronage from the princely states and the Royal families, in those days. Before India attained independence, Indore, which was then known as Indaur, was a princely state and a hub of cricket activities. The state was under the control of Holkar Dynasty.
Late Yeshwantrao Holar , a great cricket enthusiast was very kind and keen to extend his royal benevolence to the game and upcoming cricketers. In order to boost up the local set- up of cricket he invited many prominent players to play for his team- The Holkars; the talents included Col. C.K Nayadu, Chandu Sarawate, Bhausaheb Nimbalkar, CS Nayadu, Hiralal Gaekwad, Khandu Rangnekar and Kamala Bhandarkar. Some of the local talents who played for his team were, Capt. S Mushtaq Ali, JN BHaya and Major MM Jagdale.
He also offered them job in his Army. He however, never played the game himself but always extended necessary support to the game. Both Col. C.K Nayadu and Capt. Sayed Mushtaq Ali were the masters of those times, as the former was the captain of Indian team who for the first ever test played against England in 1932 and later was the first Indian to score a Century in a Test match on the foreign soil. These cricketers played a crucial role in developing the game in Indore.
Madhya Pradesh Cricket Association was earlier known as Holkar Cricket Association. This association is affiliated with the Board of Control for Cricket in India or BCCI. MPCA has its headquarters in Indore city. This association is the governing body of the cricket activities in Madhya Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh cricket Team. This board was formed in the year 1940, and was known as Holkar Cricket Association. MPCA is the governing body of cricket in Madhya Pradesh from grass root level to International level.
Presence of MPCA is very helpful in promoting Cricket in the State as well as city of Indore. Madhya Pradesh Cricket association conducts various League Tournaments in order to promote as well as develop the game. The tournaments organized by MPCA can be subdivided as; Under 13, Under 15, Under 17, Under 19, Under 22 and Under 25 categories, beside these tornaments it also organises National Tournaments.
Cricket Stadiums in IndoreThe two international cricket grounds in Indore are:
- Holkar Cricket Stadium- MPCA takes the pride of holding many international matches in this ground. Three ODI’s and matches of IPL 4 has been successfully organised by MPCA in this ground. This ground was earlier known as Maharani Usharaje Trust Cricket Ground, but was renamed in 2010 by MPCA as Holkar Cricket Stadium after the name of the Holkar dynasty, who ruled Indore. The stadium has a seating capacity of 30,000 spectators. The Stadium is well equipped for night matches as well, with flood lights. Cricketer Virendra Sehwag created a record of highest ODI score of 219 runs in this ground. The Holkar Cricket Stadium stages most of M.P’s home matches in the Ranji trophy.
- Nehru Stadium- This stadium was a home ground to Holkars in Ranji trophy. With capacity of 25,000, it is a huge stadium but unfortunately attained infamy during ODI match held between Sri Lanka and India on December 25, 1997. When the match was abandoned after 3 overs of the first innings. The game was abandoned on the grounds of the views of Umpires and the captains who felt pitch of the ground to be dangerous for the players to play on. On 31st March 2001 the stadium was again the host of ODI, and Sachin Tendulkar created history on this ground by becoming the first player to reach 10,000 runs in ODI cricket. It is doubtful that this ground will ever now host any international match.
ODI’s Played in Indore
- Australia Vs New Zealand
Date: 18th Oct. 1987
Result: Australia won the match by 3 runs
- India Vs England
Date: 15th April 2006
Score card: India- 289/3 (49.1 overs); England- 288 (50 overs)
Result: India won the match by 7 wickets
- India Vs England
Date: 17th Nov. 2008
Score card: India 292/9 (50 overs); England 238(47 overs)
Result: India won the match by 54 Runs
- India Vs West Indies
Date: 8h Dec. 2011
Score card: India 418/5 (50 overs); West Indies 265/10 (49.2 overs)
Result: India won the Match by 153 runs
- Indian Premier League
- Kochi Tuskers Kerala Vs Kings XI Punjab
- Kochi Tuskers Kerala Vs Rajasthan Royals
Cricket Coaching Camps in IndoreName: M.P Cricket Association
Address: 1, Race Course Rd., (Behind I D A Building)
Race Course Road
Phone no.: 0731-254 3602
Name: Indore Sports Club
Address: ITI Ground
Coach: Karan singh, Bhavani Joshi
Age: 8 to 19 years
Name: Indore Colts Cricket Club
Address: G2, # 177, Shrinagar Extn
Phone no. 9826012636
Coach: Amardeep Pathania
Age: 8 to19 years
Name: Cricket Club of Indore
Address: MTH Compond
Phone no.: 546174
Coach: Sanjay Jagdale, Nitin Kulkarni, MukeshSahani
Age: 9to 14 years
Name: Khanyja Cricket Club
Address: #73, Vishnapuri, NX
Coach: Yogesh Jagdale
Age: 10- 14 years, 15 – 19 years
Name: Friends Cricket Club
Address: #1026/10, Nanda Ngr
Coach: Vijay Choure and Sharad Naik
Age: 12 – 16 years
Name: Yashwant Club
Address: Race Course Road
Phone: 0731-254 4534
Name: Star Cricket Club
Address: # 52, M.T Cloth Market
Phone no. 451919
Coach: Monjoor Hosan
Age Group: 10- 16 years
Name: Lucky Sports Club
Address: CM# 154, Suklia Gram
Coach: Prashant Drivedi
Age: 10 -18 years, 14 – 22 years
Famous Cricketers from Indore
- Amay Khurasiya, studied in Indore (Cricket)
- Chandu Sarwate, lived and died in Indore (Cricket)
- Col. C.K Naidu, first test captain of Indian team (Cricket)
- Jalaj Saxena (Cricket)
- Capt. Mushtaq Ali (Cricket)
- Raj Singh Dungarpur, former BCCI president (Cricket)
- Rahul Dravid (Cricket)
- Minoti Desai (Women Cricket)
- Narendra Hirwani (Cricket)
- Sandhya Agarwal (Women Cricket)
- Sanjay Jagdale (Cricket)
- Capt. Syed Mushtaq Ali (Cricket)
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 0